[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Barcode Scanning Problems

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Fri May 3 13:54:04 EDT 2013

This may or may not be helpful, but here at MVLC we've had issues with
barcode mis-scans for as long as I have been here, 10 years now. We
had them on our previous ILS, and we still have them with Evergreen.

The main difference that I see between the two systems, is that
Evergreen will offer to make an "precataloged" copy with the
mis-scanned barcode whereas the previous ILS made it more clear that
there was a problem or more difficult to make the uncatalogued copy.

Our members are very busy at the circulation desk, and I don't think
most staff take the time to read and understand the box that comes up
when they have a mis-scanned barcode. They seem to just hit whichever
button makes the dialog disappear and the circulation happen the
quickest. In the case of the mis-scan, this is the wrong button, since
it creates the precataloged copy.

No judgment is implied here. It's just my observation of what seems to
be going on.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services