[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] View Holds Screen

Pam Smith Pamela.Smith at TheHowe.org
Wed Apr 9 16:36:47 EDT 2014

Our policy is similar to Fiona's, we do not share across our systems and do
not allow staff to view patron records in other systems.

We set System as the permission depth for View_User for all staff logins.
When I tested it in View Holds with a regular staff login, I was blocked
from retrieving a patron record from another system.

I hope this is helpful.

Pam

Pamela Smith
Technical Services/Systems Librarian
13 South St.
Hanover, NH 03755
603.643.4120 x3257

-----Original Message-----
From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org
Jason Etheridge
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2014 4:00 PM
To: Evergreen Discussion Group
Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] View Holds Screen

> Can anyone shed any light on how to control this please?  This
> customer only wants to be able to see their own local authority's
> holds and more importantly be prevented from being able to access a
> patron record that doesn't belong to them.

So the Patron Opt-In feature is a "keep the honest folk out" sort of lock.
Some libraries tighten down their VIEW_USER permission depths to create user
silos, but I'm not sure how they get around the problem of the Admin user,
which usually has its home library set to the top of the org hierarchy, and
also usually gets credit for having "created" bib records, etc.  Restricting
the perm depth on VIEW_USER would trip over display of the Admin user in
some interfaces.

How do folks deal with that?

--
Jason Etheridge