[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Installation question / comments

Ben Shum bshum at biblio.org
Thu Jul 10 16:25:42 EDT 2014

Hi Bob,

Regarding Ubuntu and Evergreen.  The current latest stable Evergreen 2.6
series only has install targets for Ubuntu Precise 12.04.  The latest
Ubuntu 14.04 may not work completely out of the box due to various changes
in that operating system and differences in the versions for certain
dependencies.  Specifically, I know that Ubuntu 14.04 ships with Apache 2.4
(instead of Apache 2.2 previously in Ubuntu 12.04) and thus may have issues
if attempting to use older configuration files, etc.

We were actually working on adding Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty support as part of
our work for Evergreen 2.7 series today.  I just pushed some of that
initial work to the master git repository earlier this afternoon, so it'll
soon make its way to an actual release in the fall (if all goes according
to plan).

Another key note, you mention the "Desktop" version of Ubuntu being
installed.  Evergreen is officially only tested by developers and system
admins with the 64-bit "Server" edition of Ubuntu LTS.  That may factor
into additional dependency differences or installation issues.

For my own organization, we're running the latest Evergreen with Ubuntu
12.04 server without too many major issues at this time.

-- Ben

--
Benjamin Shum
Evergreen Systems Manager