[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Installation question / comments

Bob Neeper neeperro at oplin.org
Fri Jul 11 12:05:22 EDT 2014

Thank you for all the answers/suggestions/etc.

I really went astray by thinking the official docs were meant for anyone to be
able to install Evergreen. Like Mediawiki, Wordpress, Untangle, Dspace, etc.

As a suggestion, some verbiage might be added to the 2 docs such as:

THESE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ARE ONLY INTENDED FOR ADVANCED LINUX
ADMINISTRATORS AND DEVELOPERS. OTHERS SHOULD CONSIDER A COMMUNITY DEMO SERVER
(show page link) OR A PRIVATE VENDOR (show page link).

That would have stopped me cold so not to bother you all.

Hi Rogan:
That's good to know about Debian.
As I understand it Virtual Box requires an underlying OS similar to the free
VMware Workstation we previously ran on Windows. Switching to the free VMware
ESXi gave us an immediate large speed improvement, being designed to only run
virtual OS's. I also didn't want to build a special box when we have ESXi

While not an expert, I am comfortable with linux having worked some with Unix,
QNX & Linux at Toledo Scale. Not at developer level, but capable of following
instructions for field edits, rebuilds, etc. I used wget per Blake's guide not
knowing enough how to use git.

Hi Ben:
I used Ubuntu desktop version as it was shown in Blake's guide. I didn't want to
add another variable by a different OS.

BTW I used Blakes' guide as they were recommended by Joseph Lamb 5/19/14 to Tom
Collins who was looking for a guide. Tom said they were a little dated. But
comparing them to the official docs for that particular build indicated they
should work. At least Blake succeeded.

I also just wanted something that worked for Chauncey. Thinking I should then
know how to build (or update to) a later version after using the guides.

Blake's guides and Evergreen's 2 docs do not indicate any h/w specs at all.
Blake's guides had a photo of a Ubuntu desktop including LibreOffice Icons so I
used desktop. I searched just now and found the statement "For Ubuntu, please
use the latest 64-bit LTS (long term support) Server release" at the top of the
download page.
Possibly h/w & s/w specs might be included in "Installing The Evergreen Server"
doc with a reference to it in the "Installing openSRF" doc.

I will download the 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 server iso and try it.

Hi Mike:
Good info about Debian & Ubuntu. My personal favorite is openSUSE. We have 3
virtual Desktops acting as web servers. Also Chauncey and another staff member
have used it on their own PC's for years. Originally selected it as we had
Novell Netware and figured there would be good support for it as SUSE was a
retail product.

Hi Jason:
Blake's guides are just the official docs for openSRF 2.1.0 & Evergreen 2.2.0
with his comments and specific instructions shown in green. He evidently read
everything he could and built a system while referring to the official docs.
Then he created commented docs so everyone else would have a much easier time.

Yes, I did install a desktop version.

Never have had a bad build on ESXi but did install the OS multiple times from
scratch.

The MD5 hash agreed with Ubunto's

Good to know about trusty.

I think Ben nailed a lot for me by mentioning 64 bit server.

Been learning stuff all my life, forgotten a lot too.

--
R. W. (Bob) Neeper
Community Library <http://sunbury.cool-cat.org>

cool-cat.org <http://info.cool-cat.org>