[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Media request regarding K12 library automation

Rogan Hamby rogan.hamby at yclibrary.net
Tue Jul 15 15:54:40 EDT 2014

This is an expansion on one of Jason's points but I think it's worth
echoing - the distinction between FLOSS and proprietary software in terms
of quality, reliability, ease of use, etc... is non-existent.  Anyone who
says otherwise is FUDing things.  Why?  Simply, because an open source
license has no impact on any of those factors, not one tiny bit.  Now, you
can discuss is open source project Alpha reliable, robust, etc.... and you
can discuss is it more robust or reliable than proprietary software B.  But
you can't talk about open source versus proprietary, it's nonsense.

One day, half the world's musicians who could sell their music instead
decide to let people freely copy and remix their music.  The other half do
not.  Who makes better music?  But, you say, that choice as nothing to do
with how good their music is, does it?  No, it doesn't.  And that is
exactly the point, not a parallel but the same point - they've open sourced
their music in the same way that we talk about open sourcing software.

Now, you can also talk about is vendor or support company C better than
vendor and support company D.  That is also a meaningful discussion.

So, is there no difference between open source and proprietary?  Of course
there is, but it's in those aspects that relate to the licensing as that
what is inherently different and therefore inherent differences are
consequences of that.  That gets into the issues that Ron touched on.

--

Rogan Hamby, MLS, CCNP, MIA
Managers Headquarters Library and Reference Services,

“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop
reading them.”
― Ray Bradbury <https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1630.Ray_Bradbury>

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit
me.”
― C.S. Lewis <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1069006.C_S_Lewis>