[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Duration Rules/Circulation Policies

Holly Brennan haderhold at ci.homer.ak.us
Wed Jul 30 20:35:37 EDT 2014

This isn't an answer related to Evergreen, but our ILL staff check the item out to the requesting patron (and set the due date) when the items arrives. Then the patron is notified. The clock starts ticking when we receive the item, not when the patron decides to pick it up. This is because the due date is really for our library to return to the lending library.

If the patron picks the item up right away, great. If they don't, they get less time with the item. If they never pick it up, the item is checked in and returned. This works out well for us because only a few staff need to keep track of due dates, and front end staff simply need to grab the item and hand it over to the patron.

Again, not Evergreen specific, but a simple alternative.

-Holly