[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Two new problems (just noticed)

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Jun 17 13:47:31 EDT 2014

Hi Deana,

> We have three Express Libraries in our system - lockers where patrons
> can pick up books they put on hold. When we were running Evergreen
> 2.3.2 everything worked fine with these locations. However, we
> upgraded to 2.5.1 awhile back and I just now noticed that the Express
> libraries are grayed out as hold pickup locations both through the
> staff client and the OPAC patron side. I have looked over the Org
> Types and Org Unit settings in the admin - server admin menu but
> cannot see what is wrong. I don't have addresses set up for these
> locations, but I don't have addresses set up for our other physical
> library branches either.

There is a new library setting in 2.5 to disallow a branch to be used as
a pickup location. Is it possible that this setting was enabled? Also,
when you looked at the org unit types, did you verify that this level of
the hierarchy can have users?

> The other problem is more ominous. Yesterday we had a patron come in
> insisting he had returned a book that was still checked out on his
> account. When I looked at the item status, it said it was available
> and that it was added to the system June 13. When I talked to our tech
> services person, she said the book came to her as misscanned or
> noncataloged, so she had added it back in the system. I figured it was
> a fluke until today. We were checking in items from the book drop when
> one came up as misscanned or noncataloged. I looked at the patron
> record for the other books that came in that were likely checked out
> by the same patron and, sure enough, this book was there. I tried
> scanning and typing the number in and even searched the catalog by
> title but there is no record of this item at all, except on this
> patron's account. My suspicion is that something happened and some
> records were dropped, but I don't have the faintest idea how to begin
> troubleshooting this.
It sounds like these copies were deleted from the system while they were
checked out to users. When that happens, you can't find them through the
staff client (but you can find them in the database), but they will
continue to appear on the patron's record. I believe you can check them
in directly from the patron's record. There was a recent discussion on
the list on how other Evergreen sites handle this issue and about
whether they give permission to staff to delete items when they are in a
checked out status.
http://georgialibraries.markmail.org/thread/zjfevzofonh6t3k3

I hope this helps!

Kathy