[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] LC call number issues

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Thu Oct 9 14:23:07 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I was having a discussion with MassLNC colleagues today about the LC
call number sorting issues that were raised during last week's Evergreen
for Academics meeting. I was looking through Launchpad today for reports
of problems with LC Call number sorting, but I didn't see much so I
wanted to query the community for specific issues you've seen with call
number sorting so that we can make sure they are documented in the
community bug tracker.

I'm generally curious to know if the issues are with bibliographic call
numbers or with the asset call numbers (volumes) that the copies are
linked to. Since I work with consortia, we generally don't use the
bibliographic call number, and we may be missing some issues that other
people are seeing.

For reports, our Evergreen sites are able to successfully sort by the LC
call number, but you have to do so by adding the label_sortkey to the
display, along with the call number label. If the label_sortkey is the
first column added to the report, then I believe the report should
automatically sort by the LC call number. If it's stored in another
column, when you download the report to Excel, you'll need to sort on
the label_sortkey column to sort by LC.

I see Don's Launchpad bug regarding spine label printing for call
numbers - https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1352542.

There is a bug report on LC call number sorting in some client
interfaces - https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1182605. However,
MassLNC contracted with Catalyst last year to fix that issue, and the
fix should be available in 2.5.7, 2.6.3 and 2.7. If you're still seeing
the problem, it will probably be fixed the next time you upgrade.

There is a bug report on Dewey and generic call numbers sorting volumes
asciibetically - https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1131895.
Looking at Galen's comments in the bug, though, it sounds like it
shouldn't be a problem with LC call numbers.

We also have a bug report related to Bib Call Number searching that
appears to happen with any kind of call number, not just LC.

I don't see any reports of improper sorting of LC call numbers in the
shelf browse. Do people see incorrect sorting there? If so, have you
confirmed that the LC Classification Scheme was used during cataloging?

Thanks!
Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier