[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Deleted items in the system

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Wed Jan 21 16:27:11 EST 2015

Quoting "Walz, Jennifer" <jlwalz at asbury.edu>:

> All -
>
> Ok.  A secondary question to my previous query.

> WHY do deleted items remain in the system?

Mainly for database integrity. The id numbers are referenced by past
circulations and many other things, so deleting them without
completely breaking things is very difficult.

>  And do they take up space on the server?

Yes. Anything stored in the database will take up space.

> Is there a way to purge them?     Is there a time frame that can be
> set for them to disappear for good?

No and no, basically. You could actually remove them from the database
if you are willing to purge historical and possibly current
circulation data as well. This would require someone with a good
knowledge of PostgreSQL and the database because you would need to
disable a number of triggers and constraints in the database itself.
You would also need to delete a number of related records also.

>   Why is it that we need to set a check box on all reports to
> exclude them?   Seems to me that you would have that checked by
> default and only UN-check it when you needed to see deleted items.
> Is it backwards?

I can't answer that one, because I do not generally work with reports
in the Evergreen staff client. I usually do my own queries with SQL in
the database.

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services
Email: jstephenson at mvlc.org