[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] TPAC and bootstrap

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Mar 27 13:46:52 EDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 12:24:38PM -0400, Michael Schell wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>With the move toward using the bootstrap framework for the web client I
>was wondering if there have been discussions about integrating it into
>the TPAC? This is something we have been working on at our library so I
>thought I should mention it in case anyone wanted to use some of the
>code. Here is a link to our test server if you want to take a look.
>http://forterie.testenv.niagaraevergreen.ca/eg/opac/results?query=harry+potter&qtype=keyword&fi%3Aicon_format=&locg=108&sort=

It looks really pretty and is certainly a great start. We already use
Bootstrap in the web staff client, so that wouldn't be a new dependency
for the project.

It might be worthwhile mentioning what features aren't currently
supported; for example, it appears there's no subject display, browse by
title / author seems to be missing, the "select a library" widget
appears to be heavily simplified (maybe hard-coded?), there's no
auto-complete (I was hoping that you might have cracked a more
accessible alternative to the Dojo-based one!), no Google Books preview,
no added content other than covers, no MARC view (which many sites would
probably be fine doing without--heh), and (under the covers) it is
missing most of the schema.org metadata.

This isn't a criticism; I think it's extremely healthy to periodically
strip things back and assess what we really want to add back in. I just
don't want people to forget about some of the elements that we've felt
were pretty important to offer in the last few catalogue iterations.

Maybe you would like to say something about how far along you are in
your efforts and whether this reflects something close to the final
design goals or more like an iteration towards whatever the final design
might be. If you're willing to work with the community, then there's a
good chance that you'll still be able to achieve your final design
goals, but with the support of others who are able to add back in (in a
configurable fashion) the features that have been necessities for other
sites.