[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Duplicate entry in authors.tt2 (is this bug 958954?)

Sarah Childs sarahc at zionsvillelibrary.org
Thu May 28 16:44:46 EDT 2015

It seems that the current behavior is that there is always a parenthetical,
and if there is a subfield e present, it always displays as well.

I added a subfield 4 to a record, and it appears that what the bug fix does
is to use the code from the subfield 4 to replace the parenthetical
information with more descriptive information than the default.
Unfortunately, the subfield 4 is actually used really rarely, because it's
optional and catalogers never really got on board with it. So the vast
majority of the time you get the default, which is either (Author) for the
100 field or (Added Author) for the 100 field.  That's so general as to be
not particularly useful, since when it's accurate that information is
usually clear from the 245, which is displayed above it. For media it's
basically always wrong, and it's wrong pretty frequently for books, too.

Based on that, the main change I'd like to see is that the parenthetical
not be displayed when there is no subfield 4. Right now if we have both
subfield 4 and subfield e, both are displayed, so I wouldn't really
describe subfield e as a fallback.  I think if both are present we should
display one or the other, but I don't really feel strongly about which.
Whichever is easier is fine with me. :-)

A summary of what I propose:
If no subfield e or 4, no term should be displayed.
Display subfield e if present
Display terms based on codes in subfield 4 if present
If both subfield e or 4 are present, display one or the other. (Either is
fine with me)

sarahc at zionsvillelibrary.org