[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Patron renewals and overdue notices

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mvlc.org
Thu Nov 19 14:46:11 EST 2015

Quoting Trisha Cantwell Keene <tcantwell at coa.edu>:

> We are running 2.8.3. Some of our libraries would like to turn off the
> patron's ability to request renewals through their account. We also would
> like to turn off the automatic email overdue notices by library.

Renewals are covered by Circulation Policies under Local Administration. In
order to disable renewals for some libraries but not others, you will need
to add lines in Circulation Policy Configuration for those libraries that
do not allow renewals.

There are two ways to stop renewals in the policy. One is to choose a
duration rule that has 0 set for max renewals. The other is to set the
Renewals Override to 0. If you do the second method it will override the
value inherited from any other policy and/or from the duration rule.

Since rules get inherited, a quick way to stop all renewals at a library
is to put in a single policy line with the Org Unit set to the library
that does not allow renewals, and then set the Renewals Override to 0.
As long as the other entries for that library say Inherited, the 0 will
override them all.

It can get tricky if your rules are very complicated.

As for stopping the overdue emails, that has to do with Action/Trigger
events. I don't think it can normally be configured from the staff
client. Someone else will have to provide you with information on
how to disable that on a per library basis. I'm not as familiar with
that part of the system.

Hope that helps,
Jason

--
Jason Stephenson
Assistant Director for Technology Services
Email: jstephenson at mvlc.org