[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] C/W MARS Evergreen android app FAQ

Ken Cox kenstir at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 10:18:59 EDT 2015

A year or so ago, with some coaching from Dan Wells, I revived and improved
the Evergreen android app.  Some of you might be interested it in and
others might have questions about it, so here are answers to the questions
I thought of so far.

*Q: I used the Evergreen android app created long ago. What did you
change?A: *Quite a lot.  This one is simpler, it tries to do less, and it
crashes less.  It uses the ActionBar interface to navigate between
activities.  It stores credentials using the native AccountManager, which
is more secure and robust.

*Q: Can I use this app with my C/W MARS library?A: *Yes you can!  In fact,
this app works with *only *C/W MARS libraries. The old app required the
OSRF URL.  Nobody I asked knew that URL, they navigated to the OPAC through
other sites.  So I built the URL into the app, so patrons can get started
quickly without help.

*Q: Where can I get the C/W MARS app?A: *At the play store,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cwmars

*Q: Can I build a custom app for my Evergreen library system?A: *Sure!  It
takes very little coding (really resource editing) to customize the app for
another library URL.  If you can supply the artwork, I can help with the
packaging and publishing.  Or, you can do it yourself; the code is in the
Evergreen git repo on the branch user/kenstir/android-action-bar

*Q: Why isn't there a generic app that works with any Evergreen library?A: *Dan
told me there should be.  He's right, of course.  I postponed sending this
email for a long time thinking I would get around to doing it.  I still
mean to.

*Q: Don't you know you can access the OPAC with the web client on your
android phone, and your tablet, and your iPhone?  That people have too many
apps already?A: *Yes, I know.  I didn't like using the OPAC with the web
client on my phone.  I waited for a year, I have a bigger phone, and I
still don't like it.  Sorry.  I am sure in the end it will probably be
better to have a responsive web app that works well across all devices.  In
the meantime, I use this app just about every day.  It serves a need, I
like it.

Regards,
Ken