[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] ERROR when trying to "bill a patron"

Kathy Lussier klussier at masslnc.org
Tue Oct 20 15:07:30 EDT 2015

Hi Jennifer,

On 10/20/2015 02:46 PM, Walz, Jennifer wrote:

> All –
>
> Ok. So even if I (global administrator) can’t see the billing types
> for the whole consortium, I need to make this ALSO available for the
> particular staff persons who will be adding bills?    That seems a bit
> odd, I have to say.   Why are not all billing types available to all
> staff logins? Isn’t that rather logical?     I CAN understand that
> certain staff levels would not be able to ADD a billing to a patron,
> but if they have permission to do that, why restrict them to the TYPES
> of billing that they can see.

What seems odd to you seems perfectly natural to me, but maybe that's
just a sign that I've been working in Evergreen for too long. I will say
that Evergreen tends to be built for maximum flexibility. While it makes
sense that you want your staff to see all the billing types, it may not
make sense for another Evergreen site. There may be sites out there that
do have different billing types for different branches, and they only
want their staff to see the billing types that should be used at their
branch. In those situations, the permission only being set at the branch
or system depth makes perfect sense.

> And it seems to me that a global admin should be able to blanket do
> everything right?   Why are some things still individually needing to
> be selected.     Just a pet peeve of mine. J

I have no idea what your global admin role looks like. I will say that
the global admin stock role that is available when you install Evergreen
has the permission set to Everything for the entire consortium.
Therefore, that role should have the ability to do everything unless a)
the permission isn't listed in the database or b) there is some other
bug that we're not aware of. But just because the stock global admin
group should have permission to do everything, it doesn't mean that
yours hasn't been changed along the way.

I will say that the stock permissions are meant to be a starter. Every
Evergreen site has different ideas of what should be allowed /
disallowed at their libraries and will want to handle permissions
differently. The three sites I work with have all adapted their
permissions over time and continue to adapt them as they evolve and
learn more about Evergreen. It's not one size fits all.

> In addition to that, the error message that it generated in this
> instance was completely NOT helpful.    In future updates, would it be
> possible to have a more helpful error come up?   That would be very nice.

I totally agree that we need more helpful error messages in the client.
It's something our users always say too. What it really takes is a
champion to lead the charge, to identify places where better error
messages are needed and what they should say, and to ultimately find a
developer who will do the work to change those errors. I'll support any
champion who takes on that challenge because it would make our users
happy too. It's not something I could devote my time to at the moment
because I have other enhancements / bug fixes I'll be championing this
year. I'm sure others are in the same boat.

Kathy

--
Kathy Lussier
Project Coordinator