[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Self-Registration and Immediate Access to Services

scott.thomas at sparkpa.org scott.thomas at sparkpa.org
Thu Jan 28 09:21:51 EST 2016

Hi,
  Have any libraries done any work on allowing patrons who have self-registered to get immediate access to digital services? The problem appears to be twofold:

1. Many databases authenticate using the prefix of the patron barcode, and, at least in our system, patrons are not assigned a library card number during the self-registration process.

2. For services like Overdrive that use SIP2, pending patrons are not truly registered and are therefore not visible via SIP2.

Has anyone found a way around these problems?

While many of our libraries are quick when it comes to processing pending patrons, immediate access to digital services is great customer service.

Thank you,
Scott

Scott Thomas
Executive Director