[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen translations by the numbers

Ben Shum ben at evergreener.net
Thu Jun 2 17:26:57 EDT 2016

Hi all,

So I have been brainstorming the way translations are being handled
for Evergreen lately and thinking about narrowing the focus to only
specific languages that have actual users/support expressed somewhere.

Right now, the build process just automatically attempts to grab
whatever it can for all the languages that are being sync'd from
Launchpad translations (https://translations.launchpad.net/evergreen).
But it does not care about the actual readiness of those languages
(i.e. how much is complete).  And it also does not represent actual
"support" in any way either, but let's consider that a different
problem...

This is the list of what we're working with in the actual Evergreen
code (along with relative total percent translated in Launchpad):

ar-AR  -- Arabic (0.50%)
cs-CZ  -- Czech (97.91%)
de-DE  -- German (22.13%)
en-CA  -- English (Canada) (70.73%)
en-GB  -- English (UK) (66.89%)
es-ES  -- Spanish (36.88%)
fi-FI  -- Finnish (73.09%)
fr-CA  -- French (52.84%)
he-IL  -- Hebrew (1.08%)
hu-HU  -- Hungarian (0.01%)
hy-AM  -- Armenian (79.18%)
oc-FR  -- Occitan, French? (16.82%)
pt-BR  -- Brazilian Portuguese (58.84%)
ru-RU -- Russian (49.43%)
sv-SE  -- Swedish (0%)
tr-TR  -- Turkish (6%)

In the past with JSPAC, the language list included the following six,
not including en-US default (which are still listed out in
config.i18n_locale database table):

cs-CZ  -- Czech
en-CA  -- English (Canada)
en-US  -- English (US)
fi-FI  -- Finnish
fr-CA  -- French (Canada)
hy-AM  -- Armenian
ru-RU  -- Russian

My thinking is that languages that do not have significant amounts
translated should be skipped till such time as there is better support
available.  This would include from the list like Arabic, Hebrew,
Hungarian, Swedish, and Turkish which are all under 10% and might only
be represented due to incidental drive-by translations from other
Launchpad sources.  Occitan, French is at 16%, but I'd be curious to
know if we have actual support / users for this variation of French or
if users largely follow the Canadian French files.

Other translations that seem to have some moderate past (or present)
activity include Brazilian Portuguese, German, and Spanish.

All of this information is just to try seeing if we can come up with a
better proposed "official" list of languages that Evergreen is
translated into and we sync for when building releases in the future.

Thoughts, opinions on trimming the list?  Any volunteers or outcry on
specific languages?

-- Ben