[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Permission code EVERYTHING

Rogan Hamby rhamby at esilibrary.com
Wed Jun 22 13:57:56 EDT 2016

The "the code checks for this permission instead of seeing if Everything is
there" bug I haven't seen in at least three Evergreen releases (maybe
more).  As Jason said, assigned org units / depth of permission is more
likely the culprit.

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Jason Stephenson <jstephenson at mvlcstaff.org
> wrote:

> On 06/22/2016 01:46 PM, Serenity Ibsen wrote:
>
>> Hi group!
>>
>> What does permission code EVERYTHING mean? Seems like that would be
>> self-explanatory, but user groups with that permission code don't have
>> the permissions I'd expect them to (like System and Global
>> Administrators.) Do I still have to select permissions manually?
>>

> It means what it says, they have permission to do everything at the depth
> of the EVERYTHING permission.
>
> It could be that you have not set the depth to the desired level. It could
> be that the permission checks are checking at a different org. unit from
> the user's work_ou. Many of the copy and patron level checks will check at
> the copy's or patron's home library. If that is outside the range of the
> permission depth, then the EVERYTHING permission does no good.
>
> Also, when you have this permission, it just shows up as EVERYTHING. It
> doesn't add all the other permissions. The permissions code generally
> checks for the desired permission or the EVERYTHING permission at the given
> depth. There were some bugs that were fixed a few years ago, but there
> could be some lingering places where the checks are not taking EVERYTHING
> into account, though I doubt it.
>

>> I appreciate everyone's insight and patience as we muddle through this
>> process.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Serenity
>>
>> --
>> Serenity Ibsen
>> Interim Director of Library Services
>> Technical Services and Archives Librarian
>> PNCA | Pacific Northwest College of Art
>> 511 NW Broadway
>> Portland, OR 97209-3404
>> 503-821-8953 | Office
>> library.pnca.edu <http://library.pnca.edu>
>>

> --
> Jason Stephenson
> Assistant Director for Technology Services
> Merrimack Valley Library Consortium
> 4 High ST, Suite 175
> North Andover, MA 01845
> Phone: 978-557-5891
> Email: jstephenson at mvlcstaff.org
>
> Please note my new email address.

Rogan R. Hamby, Data and Project Analyst
Equinox - Open Your Library
rogan at esilibrary.com
1-877-OPEN-ILS | www.esilibrary.com