[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen 3.1 Release Update

Daniel Wells dbwells at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 12:27:49 EST 2018

Hello all,

We are now entering the busy period of the release cycle, so I would like
to take a moment to highlight a variety of efforts underway for the 3.1
release.

1) We are about two weeks away from "feature slush", currently set for Feb.
9.  What does this mean?  To quote from our "versioning" wiki page it
means: "major planning for features is complete; at this point, all
significant features should either have been merged or at least have LP
bugs and pullrequests".  Of course, the nature of slush is that it isn't
very solid, so there is still some flexibility at this stage, but if this
deadline isn't met, chances of getting a new feature into the release begin
to diminish considerably.  Please take note!

2) We are one month from feature freeze for 3.1 (Feb. 23).  Updates to the
roadmap continue to come in:
https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_roadmap:3.1

For example, an interesting new entry was added last week regarding more
search improvements (https://bugs.launchpad.net/evergreen/+bug/1744385).
Thank you, MassLNC and Equinox!

To everyone, please continue to add to, update, and revise the roadmap
throughout the feature slush period.

3) As part of my release goal to improve documentation and understanding
for new developers, I have done some basic comment analysis of our Perl
services code, and created a sign up matrix for anyone wishing to help
nudge things forward.  For more explanation, or to sign up, please see here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17XCFAxuLvYKdjk4uDhlzzAZC28AGyQV3vugTnBXBtzg/edit?usp=sharing

4) Bill Erickson in late December published his first set of notes
regarding a transition from AngularJS to Angular:
https://wiki.evergreen-ils.org/doku.php?id=dev:browser_staff:angular5

Moving fully over for 3.1 was always a stretch goal, but I think simpler
changes like Bill's proposal to switch to Webpack are very doable in this
release to help smooth the way.  Thank you, Bill!

5) I have made a first pass at making sure the roadmap and the related bugs
in LP are in sync, and also getting various bugs to their proper tags and
targets.  To help us all make use of LP more effectively, Remington and I
have also made notable progress in getting usable results out of
LaunchPad's web API, and are experimenting with generating simpler views as
a release "dashboard" of sorts (nothing fancy at this stage).  We hope to
have something to show in the next week or so; please stay tuned.

6) Not directly 3.1 related, but worth mentioning as general release news.
For the last point-releases, we did an initial trial run of using a signup
sheet for splitting build tasks among the buildmaster volunteers.  It is
basic, but I do think it will help spread the load over time.  You can see
that sheet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gZayHfF7qK0zwLMEAXt-PbKBMiAM_F6EZguqzIYceBY/edit#gid=0

It is never too late to help out with builds; just join the ##eg-release
channel on FreeNode and make some noise, and we'll find you a seat.

Sincerely,
Dan