[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 3.3 and copy/item alerts - mixed client use

Blake Henderson blake at mobiusconsortium.org
Tue Oct 15 12:41:59 EDT 2019

Josh,

This is probably un-helpful, but we let the upgrade script convert them
all to the new alert matrix feature and leave XUL in the dust. We
communicated this issue and fielded the questions as they came up.
Mostly: XUL is going away and this is "one of those things" that XUL is
losing. A good reason to start using Webby now instead of waiting.

There was a small group of catalogers that continued to use XUL and
catalog alert messages "the XUL way". We communicated with that group of
catalogers and explained what was happening and why "some" workstations
saw the alert and some didn't (XUL vs. Webby) - and once they were all
converted to Webby, we converted the XUL alerts to Webby alerts
retro-actively.

I suppose another option would be to have server-side software mirror
the two alerts somehow so that you could have them appear in both
clients but we did not craft such software.

-Blake-
Conducting Magic
MOBIUS