[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Hack-A-Way 2020 Volunteers

Rogan Hamby rhamby at equinoxinitiative.org
Mon Jul 6 17:49:13 EDT 2020

Good afternoon,

As many people know the Hack-A-Way has been around for about nine years now
and has been an event that has allowed developers to concentrate their
efforts as a group.  A big part of that has been removing online barriers
by letting them interact face to face.  Face to face is not such a great
idea right now.  But we will keep calm and Evergreen on.

So, the Hack-A-Way this year goes online.  I'm hoping to solicit a few
additional volunteers.   We will look at online meeting platforms and
evaluate them to try to find the following:

1) one that allows dynamic creation of meeting rooms/streams so that users
can gather together just as they could at physical tables at will
2) supports moderated meetings so that presentations can be done with
question and input
3) supports recording the meetings and presentations for archival on the
community Youtube channel
4) scheduling so that we don't have to do it manually

Then, this same group will organize the event, get it scheduled, and do
whatever it takes to make it happen.  The requirements may change as we
look at platforms but they are a starting point.  All of this will be with
an eye toward learning some lessons for the future.  I hope to not only
find a strong platform for this year but a platform that can be used to
supplement the in-person Hack-A-Way in future years.

Anyone interested, just let me know.  We will work heavily by email but
have some online meetings, especially to test tools.

Rogan Hamby, MLIS

Data and Project Analyst

Equinox Open Library Initiative

phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)