[Eg-oversight-board] Call for agenda items - 21.08.14 meeting

Grace Dunbar gdunbar at esilibrary.com
Mon Aug 18 14:52:51 EDT 2014

Thanks for mentioning the vendor listing, Rogan, as I have a piece of
business that serendipitously feeds into that.
The lovely folks in Granville, NC had a very challenging time with an
Evergreen vendor.  The people at Greenville were so upset at the poor
service they feel that they received that they wrote a letter of complaint.
 They delivered that to me, as a member of the EOB, and have asked that we
consider removing this vendor from the vendor listing page.
Please see their letter of complaint, which is attached.

I know that this is a challenging issue.  We don't want to be put in the
position of policing vendors or getting caught in disputes between vendors
and their clients.  However, I also feel some responsibility comes from
even having the vendor page.  The question foremost in my mind is whether
we should be proactive or reactive (or inactive) in this kind of situation.
 In other words, should we change the vendor listing policy to ask for
references from live Evergreen sites who are serviced by that vendor prior
to listing them?  Or should we take on the role of possibly removing a
vendor if it becomes clear they have caused "irreparable" harm to a client.
 'Irreparable harm' being data loss, excessive downtime, or something
fairly serious.  Or do we see our role in the EOB as not being responsible
for ensuring that the community is pointing potential Evergreen sites at
vendors who are capable of doing the work - caveat emptor.

There are, of course, many sides to this issue.  I look forward to the
discussion!
Grace

p.s. In the interest of full disclosure, Granville contracted with Equinox
earlier this year to fix many of their lingering issues.  It was a limited
term consulting contract that is no longer in effect.