[Evergreen-catalogers] 856 $9 Heads-Up

Janet Schrader jschrader at cwmars.org
Wed Oct 11 14:51:26 EDT 2017

Hi,

I haven't noticed this as I am adding subfield '9' as part of a batch edit
in MARCedit when I create 856 links for online resources. I also add it at
the end of the line but I believe MARCedit strips out spaces at the end of
a field. When I load I file I test one record before loading the rest to be
sure the link displays correctly. So far I have never found one that did
not display.

I don't think it sees the subfield '9' with a space as invalid so much as
it sees it as another character so the shortname is different.  It's very
frustrating that Evergreen sees the space at the end of a Parts field as a
character so a Part such as v.2 is different from a Part such as v.2^^
(carets used to denote spaces).  The Parts look the same and there's no way
of knowing which has the spaces at the end. In the merge Parts development
we did the spaces are shown as superscript dots.

Janet

--
Janet Schrader
BIbliographic Services Supervisor