[Evergreen-general] Filling hold items from home library first

Morgan, Michele mmorgan at noblenet.org
Fri Sep 16 12:28:15 EDT 2022

Hi Mark,

It could be due to several factors. It would definitely not be related to
the workstation settings for Default Search Library/Preferred Library,
those settings don't affect how holds get filled. Hold Matrix Weights could
play a part, as can many other settings in Evergreen, but it's likely
Evergreen's Opportunistic capture behavior that's causing some of your
holds to be filled by another library's item rather than your own.

Evergreen will target the best item for your hold, which is likely your
item if it's available, and put it on your pull list, but Opportunistic
capture can cause another library's item to get captured for your hold if
it is checked in before the targeted copy is.

Best Holds Selection Sort order can change the capturing behavior, as can
other settings.

At the 2021 Evergreen conference, there was a very comprehensive
presentation about how holds work.

The slides and a video for "Hungry Hungry Space Hippos" are available:

https://evergreen-ils.org/conference/2021-evergreen-international-online-conference/2021-schedule/2021-program-descriptions/

Have a look at slide 30 and beyond that talks about capturing to give you
an idea of what comes into play.

Hope this helps,
Michele
--
Michele M. Morgan, Technical Support Analyst
North of Boston Library Exchange, Danvers Massachusetts
mmorgan at noblenet.org

On Fri, Sep 16, 2022 at 11:47 AM Mark Massey via Evergreen-general <